Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Wedding Ring Woes

When Lover and I got married, 11 years ago, we picked out matching rings for each other and planned to wear them every single day for the rest of our lives, “to represent the eternal life and love” we will have with each other, or so they said. Not a year later, we were vacationing in Spain when our villa was broken into and our wedding rings were both stolen by gypsies!! Sounds scandalous, huh? I know, it was. I love telling people that story, though at the time of the incident, I was a basket case because I had my most prized possession taken from me - my wedding ring. Growing up with my dad wearing his wedding ring each and every SECOND of his life, I guess it was instilled in me that if my Lover didn’t wear his ring, he didn’t love me. I was insistent that we do our best to replace the rings as soon as possible.

Being the poor newly-wed couple we were, my husband replaced MY ring about a year later but we were unable to afford to replace his. I hated that he didn’t have one, but he assured me that he didn’t mind. He had never been a jewelry wearer and didn’t really like the feel of a ring anyway. Still, it bothered me, so a friend of mine offered us a men’s wedding band she had, which gave my Lover something on his hand to represent him being “taken”. He’s pretty smokin’ hot and I didn’t feel comfortable allowing him to romp around with a nude finger in this world full of aggressive women.

It wasn’t but a few years after that, he quit wearing the new ring because it was “uncomfortable”. Like I said before, he hates jewelry and although I didn’t put up much of a fight, it bothered me. My husband is a Marine and therefore, he travels a lot and is gone for weeks, sometimes even months at a time. The fact that he wasn’t wearing a ring began to wear on me. I hated thinking about girls checking him out and noticing that he wasn’t wearing a ring - a green light for them to approach him.

I started to bug him about wearing it. He stood his ground about it being uncomfortable and him having to take it off to work out every day. He said he would be willing to try a different kind of ring if it were more comfortable so we invested in a titanium, comfort fit ring for him to wear. Needless to say, he wore it off and on for a year or so before it bugged him and more often than not, I would find it sitting above our china cabinet, fingerless.

I finally decided to give up on pressing the issue with him. It’s been 11 years and I’ve just come to accept the fact that he’s not a ring kind of guy. Every now and then I’d make snide comments about him not wearing it to get under his skin, as every good wife should, *wink*, but that was about it. I also noticed that lots of men who I knew, that were married, never wore theirs either. It seems to be more and more of a trend these days to not wear your wedding ring. As much as I’d love to see it on his finger every day, I just won’t. But that doesn’t represent the feelings he has towards me, or our marriage at all.



Just recently, I’ve noticed that on his very own, my Lover has started wearing his ring yet again, although, you won’t find it on his finger. He wears it on the wrist band of his watch, which he wears every day. When I asked him about it, he told me that he started noticing a few other guys taking up the new trend of wearing it on their watches, so he thought he’d try it out. He has found that he actually likes it! I love that he’s wearing it now, even if it isn’t on his finger. It gives me a peace of mind to know that it’s there, with him, everywhere he goes, telling the world to back off!!

Does your husband wear his wedding ring every day? Do you? What are your thoughts about wearing it as opposed to not wearing it?



Jessica is a TEXAN. Enough said. Now go visit her wacky world at her family blog, The Lowe Family News, or her video blog where she loves making a total fool of herself, HunDuddle Hussy.


 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook