Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Are you self-reliant?

I loved the visiting teaching message in January on self-reliance. With the current political climate, I thought the message came at a great time. The message addressed the need for each of us to strive to be self-reliant. Sister Beck said, “We become self-reliant through obtaining sufficient knowledge, education, and literacy; by managing money and resources wisely, being spiritually strong, preparing for emergencies and eventualities; and by having physical health and social and emotional well-being.”

Whew! That is a hefty list, but I thought a really good list too. Wherever you stand on the political scale I think we can all agree that there are plenty of people that need to work on being more self-reliant. Throughout the message they talk about the fact that each of us will have hard times in our lives and that when those times come we should be prepared to rely on first ourselves, second our families and third on the Church (if we are faithful members). I know that not everyone in the nation has the Church, and that is where the government comes in. But I think each person has responsibility to work hard each day, and I think lots of government plans bail out people who are not doing that.

Interestingly I think we, as Mormon women are often too self-reliant in the area of Mothering. Instead of supporting each other in our very large job, we look at one another and judge. (I have to admit I am just as guilty of this as anyone else.) Just because one person cares more about an exact bedtime then another does not determine that she is a better mother. Self-reliance is fine line and sometimes it is hard to accept help. I want to be more available to serve those around me and Elder Hales says the best way to serve more is to become more self-reliant.

---

Anna has a BFA in photography which she uses to run her own photography business and a little bit of insanity and OCD which she uses to run a household with three sons and one wonderful husband. Catch up with her at her family blog or her photography blog!



Photo by Anna Rasmussen

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook