Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

The Genetics of Clutter

My husband has selective blindness.

He chooses not to see clutter, dirty dishes, piles of laundry, and dirty floors. In fact, his idea of a clean kitchen is having enough room on the counter to make a sandwich...

My idea of a clean kitchen is having crystal clear counters and a glistening sink.

I attribute this blindness to two things:
  1. His Y chromosome. I'm convinced that like color blindness, selective blindness can be linked to genetics.
  2. He just doesn't care. A messy house is not important to him. He would rather have fun going out or watching movies rather than doing the dishes, vacuuming, or switching a load of laundry.

I love that my husband is all boy to my very girly-girl. He loves motorcycles, guns, and steak. I like SUV's, shoes, and salad.  I thrive on a clean, orderly, clutter-free home, and he thrives on fun.

I am learning to love our differences

Keeping the house immaculate is a futile effort... and another full time job. I felt like it wasn't too much to ask that he keep the coffee table free of last night's dinner; that it wasn't unreasonable to expect him to put his shoes on the mat by the door. I didn't even think it was silly that I wanted his dirty clothes to go in the laundry hamper, or the towels to hang on the towel rack...


And one day, when we have kids, it will be his turn to teach me how to let the mess go.


---

Annicka, also know as Pippi Longstocking, is a nurse, wife, sister, and daughter. She and her husband, Curious George, are currently in Act 2 of their life together, in which they are attempting to multiply and replenish the earth.

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook