Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Of Bad Guys and Car Seats


I was at my wits end. My four-year old had been pushing all my buttons all day and I finally just couldn't take any more!

So things wouldn't get out of hand, I picked him up and took him to the car where I buckled him into a car seat. I closed the door and walked away so he could scream it out and I could calm down.

After a few minutes, I went back to the garage and climbed into the driver's side so I could turn around and look at him.

We both just kind of looked at each other for a while and I finally started in on my sad speech about how I didn't know what to do with him, how to help him be happy, to listen and obey, be nice to his siblings, etc. etc.

He just sat there with wide eyes and tear streaked cheeks, quietly listening to my speech.

Finally he interrupted me.

Holding up his hand in a manner common for people who are trying to get their point across, and shaking it back and forth, he said with his lisp, the following in about two very solemn breaths:

"Mom. If you wiw not be wude to me, I wiw not be wude to you. That's the deal."

*brief pause*

"If I wiw give you my heart, then you wiw gwow to be this tall (he holds up his hand to a height about the top of his head) a hundwed times tall. Yea, a hundwed times tall. Then you can fight all the bad guys. Betause bad guys are weal, huh mom. And then I wiw fight the bad guys like *POW* and then I will win."

*brief pause*

"Okay, I am happy now. Deal?" He thrusts out his hand toward me "Deal?"

After fighting back my big smile, I solemnly shook his hand and said, "Deal."

~~~~

I'm afraid that I can't boast to always handling situations this well. But I find that when I am in control of myself, I can better handle the situations around me.

Harsh words and actions done in anger always cause guilt and regret. So taking that moment to step back, calm down, and try again is well worth it.

--

Serene is a mom of four with baby five on the way. She pretends that having her kids close together is super easy, but her secret stash of chocolate would convince you otherwise. She blogs over at Serene is my name, not my life! She is also a freelance artist so be sure to view her Portfolio Page!

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook