Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

When Fairy Tales Don't Come True

We are all raised to want a fairy tale.  Grow up, fall in love, get married, have children, and grow old together. What do we do if one of these fairy tale steps doesn't happen?


I will be the first to tell you, life doesn't always go as you planned.  I remember dreaming of a wonderful life growing up.  I was a hopeless romantic.  I still am in so many ways.  I really love sappy love movies where everyone lives happily ever after.  Unfortunatly, life has taught me that the fairy tale is just that, a tale. Something that I imagine I wanted. 

I have come to realize through infertility and so many other trials in my life, that life isn't a fairy tale.  It isn't full of love and princes, or good always overcoming evil.  I think all of us have this realization as we become adults.  We look back and say, "I wish I could do back to my childhood."

I don't have any children.  This in no way was a part of my dream. I remember even saying that my worst fear would be to never bear children. Well, now I am living that fear. My story isn't uncommon.  Many of us have lives that don't fit our childhood dreams.

About a year ago I learned a great lesson about dreams.  When life doesn't go the way you expected, change your dream.  There are so many things to be grateful for. So many ways to live a righteous, happy, and fulfilling life.  It is all about your perception. Mine doesn't have to be like Cinderella's to be a fairy tale. Just having my husband is fairy tale enough for me.  I still want to have children but I am living my dream, my life is full of love and family already. I wish I would have realized it sooner.

Everyone's tale will be different.  All can have happy endings.  We just have to look at them from a different perspective.  Look at them and see your very own personal fairy tale.

---

Kelly is an infertility warrior and adoption advocate.   She has been married to her husband, Will, for six years and just moved to South Carolina for her husband's job (where one of the leading infertility clinics in the country is located BTW :o) She blogs daily on her online journal, Giving What I Am, where she talks about life, infertility, adoption, and service.

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook