Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Time to get Mad


"When things look bad, and it looks like you're not gonna make, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb mad dog mean." ~Clint Eastwood

Recently, I faced a few setbacks at work. Things did not pan out the way I wanted them to, and I was incredibly frustrated.

When I was a kid, and something went wrong or turned out differently then I expected, I would hold onto the negative feelings; 2 weeks later, I would still be stewing over the incident. What I didn't realize was that moping never solved my problem. As I held onto certain issues, I kept myself from being able to move on to take advantage of new opportunities.

My wise mom taught me a great trick for dealing with setbacks. She said that when something goes wrong you need to determine a set period of time you're going to allow yourself to be mad, and once that time has passed, you need to drop the issue and begin looking forward.

So here's my current method for handling life's disappointments: The moment something doesn't go my way, I tell myself - "Ok Kyle, you've got 24 hours to be as angry, sad, frustrated, upset, emotional, negative as you want. But, once that 24 hours is over, you've got to let go and move on." 

Then I've got 24 hours to let my emotions go CRAZY!

"Sad Kyle" usually mopes around the house, watches a sad movie, and eats a lot of candy. (more candy than I usually eat)

"Angry Kyle" puts Eminem, Limp Bizkit, and Jay-Z on, then goes into RAGE mode.

No matter what the situation has been, it has been incredibly helpful for me to follow this pattern for learning to let go of anger, disappointment, frustration. I t has allowed me to really let the emotion go crazy for a short period of time before I'm able to let go and then embrace new opportunities.

What do you guys like to do when things go wrong? How do you let go of the negativity?
______________________________________________________________________


Kyle is Marketing Director at Blickenstaff's Vintage Toy & Candy store. He is also a competitive bboy!

* * * * * * * * 

Get MMB’s newest posts in email or in your blog reader

Follow us on: Twitter, Become a Facebook Fan and keep-up via Networked Blogs!

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook