Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

I Scream for Icecream


_DSC3347




I didn’t really crave anything during my first pregnancy, but on one day in particular, I left work feeling the need to eat my favorite ice cream: Mint Chocolate Chip. It had been such a long time since I had any that the idea seemed divine on this very hot Summer day in Georgia.

I drove home and decided to pick up a half gallon at the store a few minutes from my house. I was in my husband’s Jeep Wrangler with the top down, seven months pregnant, and sweating profusely in the heat. When I got out of the jeep, my back was literally soaked from the combination of leather seats in the heat and pregnancy. Newly transplanted by my marriage from the North to the South, I was still overwhelmed with this type of weather and the idea of my favorite cold ice cream soothing my body and soul immediately intensified my craving.

I walked into the store and ran to the freezer section. Brand by brand I searched each ice cream container for my mint chocolate chip. Nothing. I searched again. Nothing. How inconvenient.

Thankfully, opening the freezer cooled me off, but I was getting a bit irritated. Oh well, I really really wanted the flav-ah I craved, so I would just have to drive to another store.

Tired, pregnant, and hot, I managed to hobble into another store in search of my favorite ice cream. However, it was a play by play of my previous store experience. As if I didn’t want it bad enough before, suddenly I was on a mission, and frankly, not very happy about it.

I got back into the jeep in the sweltering heat and drove to yet another grocery store. The freezer section had become my worst enemy. My eyes scanned over each container and I proceeded to dig deeper, thinking it must be behind something. The more I dug, the angrier I became. Was it such a huge request? Can’t a huge sweaty pregnant woman be allowed to indulge in her cravings once in awhile? Must she settle for simple boring flavors such as vanilla or chocolate? WHERE WAS I?

I became wild in my digging and was suddenly approached by a young and timid store employee. He asked if there was anything he could help me with. I said, “Yes, that would be nice. I need some mint chocolate chip ice cream, please.” He looked in the freezer, and then said, “I’m sorry, it looks like we don’t have any.”

"WHAT?" I screamed in my head. My voice quickly elevated and I replied, “I WANT TO SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!” He stood there in shock. If I hadn't been so consumed with myself I might have felt sorry for the poor guy. He stammered, “Uhm...okay...please calm down... I'll go get him.”
 


While waiting I continued to try to cool myself down by standing in front of the open freezer doors fanning them open and shut. Suddenly the store manager approached (HE, who was responsible for my current unhappy and unsatisfied situation.) I said to him, “I would like to purchase some mint chocolate chip ice cream. This is the third store I have gone into to purchase this item, and I would really appreciate it if you could give me some kind of decent explanation as to why you don’t have it?”

He stared at me and my belly for a moment and then carefully approached the subject by saying, “I’m sorry ma'am. We don’t usually carry that flavor of ice cream here.” I replied, “Here? Do you mean in this store, or do you mean in this God forsaken part of the country where I can’t manage to go into a single store and buy what I NEED right now. AM I IN AMERICA?”

He cautiously replied again saying, “Uhhhhhhmmmm...we don’t carry it in this store because there is not a large request for it. If you would like, I can put in an order right now and it will arrive next week.”

I said "thank you" and then hobbled my huge and hot self back out into the unquenchable and unforgiving sun.

I felt completely defeated as I drove home. Yet somehow, I managed to find consolation in the fact that next week my mint chocolate chip ice cream would be waiting...just for me.







Carrie loves mint chocolate chip ice cream. To an obvious fault. But her sweet family of 4 still like her anyway. Check more of her passions out at The Rowdy Stroudy's.

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook