Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Mothering Teens - Your Responses

As a Matter of Fact...

There are some things a mother should just not blog about.

Like puberty! See, I haven't given anything away, have I? I mean, it's not like I announced that "Aunt Flo" has come for a visit, or it's time to stock up on "party supplies". Right? Nobody reads the small print on anything anyway...

We've had our share of "The Talk" at our house, so nothing will come as a surprise to any of our four daughters. What surprises me is how many euphemisms there are for human anatomy.... Or natural bodily functions and fluids..... Or lovely, life-altering rites of passage...

Our household does not operate in code. We shoot straight from the hip... TACTFULLY, of course, and respectfully. We tone it down for the younger ones, but for the most part, our girls are prepared for what life has to throw at them.

And yet, people ask: 'How can you talk about .... THAT... so easily? Isn't it awkward?'

NO!! It doesn't have to be. There is a time and a place, of course -- you wouldn't want to bring it up when guests are over for dinner (especially the in-laws!), but any time you treat something this sacred like you're embarrassed about it, then they will be, too.

So....be honest and open (within reason), and your children will appreciate you for it.
~Sue Q, from The Quack Shack

*****
Breathe and Pray.

Can I tell you a secret? My children are 19, 17 and 16 years old and I still haven’t a clue what I’m doing. So many times I find myself using the same techniques that seemed to bring about the best results even when they were 4, 2 and 1. Breathe and pray.

“Mo-om! He took my truck!”
“No one understands how I feel!”
“Stop touching me! Mo-om! Make her move over!”
“I’ll never be good enough.”
“I wanna go, too!”
“When I get my driver’s license…”
“I want to go to Russia on my mission.”

Breathe and Pray A LOT.


 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook