Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

The Truth Hurts

As a mother to a whole bunch of small boys, I find myself saying (approximately 214 times a day) "DO NOT PUT THAT IN YOUR MOUTH!" Be it a toy, food off the floor, gum from under a public table... the list goes on and on. It's just part of the gig. "Henry, do not chew on your shirt!" is a real favorite around here. As is "No fingers in noses and then mouths! NO!" Someone is always putting something illicit in their mouths.
I just, right this minute, fished a sewing bobbin out of Oliver's mouth.

I was really wondering where my children's oral fixation came from.

Well, I'm ashamed to admit I now know:

I was dusting the living room. That's how it all started. (And yes, I expect you to be proud of me for dusting!) On a shelf in said living room resides a pretty little statue of the Salt Lake Temple. It was the cake topper at my wedding, many years ago. Since that day, seven and half years ago, it has graced a shelf, or a mantle in every home we've had. It's lovely.

Anyway, so I'm dusting, and I pick up the little temple to run the dust rag over it, when I see something strange on the bottom of it. I looked more closely. Hmm, strange. It appeared that there was FROSTING from my wedding cake from nearly a decade ago securely and quite permanently fused to the glass statue.

I stared at it for a moment. How had I not noticed it there for seven years? I must be a pretty rotten duster, that's how.

Then, in a moment of utter and complete reckless abandon,  I leaned over and... (oh I am SO embarrassed!) I licked my temple.

I know. I know.

I LICKED MY TEMPLE!

I can't honestly explain it. My brain utterly and completely failed me in that moment. Perhaps I wanted to see if it still tasted like frosting?!? I mean, I do really like frosting. It's a real favorite of mine. So, maybe I didn't want to see it go to waste?!? I don't know. But it DID NOT taste like frosting. It tasted like seven years of lemon Pledge.

So, then I gagged a lot! And I learned my lesson. Don't ever lick seven year old frosting off ANYTHING!

But, at least one mystery was solved. My children obviously get their oral fixation issues from their mama.

-----


Morgan blogs a lot. It's how she avoids laundry. Find her and her boys at The -Ing Family.










*photo from latterdaystatues.com*


 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook