Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Dear MMB,

Dear MMB,

Can you write about blogging etiquette, too? Like is it okay to leave a link to my blog in someones comment section if I want them to see something I did? Or is that like hijacking their readers?

Shelley

Can I be honest? I HATE IT. I do not like when people pimp themselves out in other blogger's comment sections. My problem with it is simple. 99% of the time, they're not linking to a specific post or instance. They're not saying, "Oh my gosh, that's too funny! That totally happened to me! Look!" and leaving a link.

No, in almost every case, I see the same thing. "Oh my gosh, that's too funny! Will you come and read my blog? pretty please? I'm desperate and need validation! Please, please, please, please, please! Here's my blog url! www.pleasecareaboutme.com..." (You know, more or less, but not those exact words)

I think that if you have something to say, then go ahead and say it, without a link. And if it indeed gets your mind turning and inspires you to say something profound, then at that time, write a post on your own blog, and leave a link to their post for your readers.

OR you could leave a comment on the post, and leave a link saying, you really got me thinking about this, and I wanted to share my thoughts with you, please read here.

Now, while we're talking about comments, let's go ahead and discuss trolls. Do you know what an internet troll is? It's someone, usually an anonymous someone, that leaves disparaging comments that have nothing to do with what the blogger is saying, and is targeted at the blogger to make them feel BAD.

If you've never had a lousy comment, congratulations. I'm impressed.

If you're like me and have received entire emails dedicated to telling you how much you suck as a person, well, welcome to the club.

There is an art to commenting. You don't have to agree with what everyone is saying, you are more than entitled to have a difference of opinion on things. I find that, especially within the LDS blogging community, some people think we all should fit into one specific mold. Guess what? WE DON'T.

I drink caffeine and voted for Obama. Does that make you a better Mormon than me? No. It doesn't. On that same token, you don't do caffeine and you're Republican. Do I automatically assume we can't be friends? No, that would be foolish and close minded.

HOWEVER.

If there's an issue I disagree with on your public blog, am I going to resort to name calling? No. Am I going to hide behind an anonymous moniker and spew hateful things from my keyboard? No!

I will be a grown up and say, while I appreciate YOUR OPINION, mine differs in these ways.

And if I can't say it nicely, I SAY NOTHING.

So please, for the love of all that is holy, SIGN YOUR NAME. There's nothing worse than hiding behind "anonymous" (And really, with all the tracking features one can install on one's blog these days, no one is EVER truly anonymous.)

IN fact, when I see an anonymous comment, I immediately trace it's origins. 9 times out of 10, I know the person. And saying ugly things because you think I don't know it's you, is cowardly.

Phew. {wipes forehead} Got that out of my system.

Another instance where I believe leaving links would be okay, depends on the blogger herself. Some bloggers talk to their readers through the comment section. Others use email as a medium. If the blogger chats in the comment section, then leaving a pertinent link in that section would be okay.

In summary, I think you can leave a link in the comments if you truly think it would be beneficial for the blog author.

~MomBabe


*do you have a burning question about blogging? Is there something you always wanted to know, but didn't quite understand? Email us at mormonmommyblogs @ gmail.com with "Dear MMB" in the subject line. Heck, we'll even answer NOT blogging questions.

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook