Subscribe Contact Facebook Follow us on Twitter Pinterest Google+ bloglovin

Ashes to Ashes

So I'm thinking about Death.
N' what I'm thinkin' about is not the "dying" part
but the actual
burial part...
It seems there's something to say about it
and everyone has an opinion on it;
so I'm tossing my hat into the ring of discussion
and seeing what bites back.

I am not one who enjoys graveyards--
I have only been to them for specific causes,
namely someone being buried there,
just a few times in my life,
and once to dedicate the graves of Kent's family members.

After that,
I just don't see the point.
But then,
no one close to me has died,
so maybe I'll feel different
once that happens.
I don't know.
But seriously,
I can't see myself going to visit a grave
of a loved one.
And I certainly don't want my family to spend money on a
huge wooden box
and a plot of earth.
I'd rather them spend that money on
something that celebrates my life--
like a huge Pie Party and foot massages!

To me,
once the spirit leaves the body,
the spirit is free to go wherever
it wants...
while the body is in the ground
in a hometown graveyard,
the spirit can go to, say,
Italy,
or
Holland,
or
on a Disney cruise
if it wants...
and not have to pay for extra baggage.



I want to be cremated
and have my ashes spread over a little place
our family loves
in Garden of the Gods.
When I told my kids of this plan
years ago,
one of them said they liked the idea of
having a place to go to
to "visit" with me...like a cemetery.
I told them
that most likely
I'd be hanging out in their kitchen
and they could just "visit" with me
right there.
They don't have to put on shoes
or grab a jacket, even.
Just stand at the sink and do dishes,
cut up an apple,
fry an egg,
mop the floor--
I'd just hang out and listen to them
right there.

I might hang out in the bathroom
while they wash their kids' hair,
or
come visit them
while they're doing laundry
or paying bills.
I'll probably sit next to them
at Church on Sundays,
and talk to their babies.

Maybe I'll sit in the car
with them
while they're on the way to the Temple
and we'll go in
together...
or I'll just wait inside for them
in the Celestial room..
then put my arms around their necks,
and whisper in their ears how much I love them.

No, they don't need to go to a patch of earth
to feel me
or hear me...
I'm their Mother,
I'll come to them.

Where else would I go?
---

The Old Woman Who Lived in a Shoe has nothing on this Momza of Seven, mil to two, and recently crowned "Granma" to a Ninja-Baby who has stolen her heart with his toothless grin. Dawn is a Midwife Assistant/Doula, Home Stager, Writer, and Convert to the LDS faith--living the dream in the Colorado Rockies! She blogs at Momza's House.

 
Enjoy shopping for quality baby clothing at TradeTang.com

MMB

Facebook